Monday, January 10, 2011

Carrie's Blog

Today we loaded up the Children’s Lifeline trucks with food, shoes, clothing and other supplies to take to orphanages and people in need. The first orphanage we made balloon hats for the children and they loved them!

They all sat down so obediently so that we could give them new shoes. They either did not already have shoes or the ones they were wearing were so tattered, their toes were poking through. You never saw children get so excited over a new pair of shoes! We prayed with them before leaving.

We then visited a boy who must walk on his hands because his legs are too deformed for him to walk.

We went to give food to a family whose father can not walk whose 10-year old son cares for him. The son also cares for his senile mother. Pastor Mays put his hands on the father and prayed for him and his household. When we left the house, an elderly woman was calling for help and Miss Pat Curtis noticed how hurt her feet are and how poor her condition is, asked where she lives and said that she will be back to help her. Miss Pat said to me: “that’s how we find them”.

We went to give a family food that has a child suffering from malnutrition. I have seen pictures of children suffering from malnutrition before, but seeing it first hand is completely different. How can I have so much food while these children suffer so? We prayed for the family and for Jesus’ healing power before we left.

We went to give food to elderly people in a homeless shelter. The shelter was made of concrete walls and dirt floors. The terrain is such that dirt floors are very hard and rocky and they have no beds to sleep on. The 2 women were grateful for the food and I gave one a crocheted shawl and a hug. I only had the one in my backpack and the other woman grabbed me in a hug and held on as if for dear life. It broke my heart and I just don’t think these words could describe what they live with every day. I ran back to the truck to get another shawl for the lady who was holding on to me and she held her hands together as in prayer while saying thank you.

We went to 2 more orphanages to give them clothes and shoes: one in the mountains and one towards Port Au Prince. The one in the mountains has 20 children who all sleep in a tent since the January 12, 2010 earthquake destroyed their building. The other one has children who sleep on a concrete floor. But at both places, the children were very obedient like the other one and extremely happy to get their new shoes and clothes! Before we left each place, we prayed with them for God’s mercy and grace.

I finally was able to meet the young lady who recently lost her young son to cholera. Her name is Josette and she has the most beautiful smile that you have ever seen! We wrapped arms around each other while I told her that I have been praying for her for days and that I wanted to give her a handmade blanket made by the ladies of Stitches to Share. She will use it for warmth and comfort in the absence of her son.

I can’t help but think of the moment when I was so overcome with emotion by all that I had seen that I looked over at Tim Wampler and said with something like exasperation: “what can we do when we get back home to help them more?!” Tim is the President of Shoes 2 Share whose ministry is also focused on helping the people of Haiti. We then had a lengthy discussion of plans on how to provide more shoes, clothing and clean water for those in need by uniting Shoes 2 Share with Children’s Lifeline in a partnership. This partnership will provide the hope and comfort that all people around the world deserve. I can’t wait to get started and I then had a feeling of hope that Jesus love will be shared to even more Haitians.

-Carrie DeSimone

No comments:

Post a Comment