Friday, January 14, 2011

Aint No Mountain High Enough

Today the icing on the cake for me was going to Saint Marc for the first time. Even though I am from Haiti I have never been there. We went to the top of the mountain to see about a school that needed food for their children. Going to the top of the mountain was absolutely beautiful. The narrow road going up the steep mountain was scary but fun. The scenery at that altitude was unbelievable.

I was impressed to see how polite and obedient the children were in the school we visited. I also had the opportunity to talk to the parents of the children who couldn’t go to school, because they couldn’t afford the uniforms.
I told the teacher it is more important for the children to attend school then worry about a uniform. I encouraged the parents to help the teachers expand the school rooms so there would be additional space for more children to attend school. The two school rooms were very overcrowded with no electricity and many children sharing one small bench. The parents were willing to help the teachers.

Today was a blessing. This is our last day in Haiti before we leave tomorrow morning. I will never forget this journey!

By Marie Josee Gallman

No comments:

Post a Comment