Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Janelle Cude post

Today is day six of our mission trip. Today we worked with a team from Michigan to set up a health clinic at a tent city about 55 minutes from La Digue. There were five doctors and several nurses. I was honored to work with a Pediatric Cardiologist. The line to see a doctor was long and hot, as all age groups waited to see a doctor. We saw a whole family at a time and addressed individual needs from there. All of the people, had the complaint of belly pain and lack of appetite. Some were visably dehydrated. A fresh water supply had arrived today for them. The people were quiet, meek, and humble. They were grateful for assistance. The children were all well behaved and well managed by their mothers. You could tell all the children were loved and well taken care of by their mothers.

We saw a critical 3 month old. My first reaction, was that this baby was dying. It was transfered to a hospital for evaluation. The mother explained that she had lost two children in the earthquake and her husband. She had no means of support to feed her family. My heart ached for her. This is just one story, and will be engrafted in my memory forever. I have been a nurse for 34 years, and this is without a doubt the most memorable day of my career. I thank God for allowing me to experience this day.

The children in La Digue that I have cared for since arrival are all doing great today!!!

Janelle Cude

No comments:

Post a Comment