Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wow! What a Day

Wow. Today has been one of those days that will impact me for the rest of my life. I think I can speak for the rest of the team and say it was equally as impactful to them. Today's agenda consisted of visiting two orphanages. I had tried to imagine what a Haitian orphanage might look like. I had heard testimonies of couples who had adopted from all over the world. However, every effort I had made to prepare myself was washed away by a flood of tears. There is simply no way I can explain through any use of poetic, descriptive words what we witnessed today. I am not being theatrical, nor am I being overly-dramatic. What we experienced today was unspeakable.

The first orphanage consisted of a number of tents that were sprinkled around pools of standing, mosquito-infested water. Malaria is a major concern at this orphanage. 85 children and roughly 2 staff live here in these conditions. Some of the children were sick and could not come out. We dropped off some rice for them to eat. Josh delivered a message about how God loves and cares for little children. Jonathan and Dave led music, and the rest of us prepared crafts and played some games. The highlight of this orphanage came when the children sang to us with a jimbay drum. It was beautiful to hear them sing in Creole.
The second orphanage was staffed by 2 men and and 2 women. One of these women was probably 75 years old and she was blind. We went into a block building in the village that was dark. The block building consisted of 4 small rooms. We were led out the back door under a makeshift canopy shelter. The children began to appear in a line. It was like ants marching into the front rooms. One after the other the came in. Some would smile at you, some had blank stares. Spring delivered a lesson to the children about the creation of the universe. We then used a mural that Todd had creatively drawn to better illustrate creation. Painting was involved and the children participated.
The remaining time at the second orphanage was spent drawing "creation pictures" on paper with markers for the children. They would bring me their paper with their marker and want me to draw for them. They absolutely did not care about how terrible of an artist I am. I began to write "Jesus loves YOU" at the top of each drawing. The rest of the team was doing similar stuff with their papers. I could not get over, personally, how some of the children were the same age as my children are. Can you imagine your children living in these conditions?
Many of the children were severely malnourished. Many had hair-growth problems. Some were very skinny. The one that I will never forget was named Edison, who is my son's age. He sat on a small bench during the entire service, completely emotionless. You could tell that he was all cried out. I picked him up and taught him how to give me five. I simply could not get him to smile. As I was holding him, another child that I had drawn for came up and told me that he loved me. I looked through tears the entire time I was there, and it came to a climax when we had to leave. I sat Edison down on his bench next to the blind woman, gave him five one last time, and walked out of his life.
There are other stories from last night and today that I could share. They are all unforgetable, too. However, I want to leave you with that last image. The American church needs to hear Edison's story. And the American church needs to act now. This is not a guilt trip. It is Christianity.
Please pray for the orphans of Haiti. I am typing this on a laptop with a full stomach. Edison and thousands of other orphans like him will sleep on the ground tonight, empty and utterly alone. May the Gospel of Jesus Christ compell the church forward to do what is necessary. Until you understand the Gospel, that you were an orphan drowning in your sin before God the Father adopted you into His family, you will never understand the profound nature of orphan care.
I am attaching 3 pictures. May God bless you. We are sincerely grateful for all your prayers.
Yours in Christ-
Russ Kreuter

No comments:

Post a Comment