Monday, June 6, 2011

"Do you love Jesus?"

This morning we started out by taking a walk to the Barbancourt School.  It was exciting to traverse across the rough terrain and see the countryside.  We enjoyed crossing the flowing river on our way to Barbencourt.  We had many young guides that helped us through the water.  We visited the school and presented a bible school lesson.  We acted out the Nativity story for the children.  Josh was our donkey, Kristen was our Mary, Dave was our Joseph, Jonathan was our innkeeper, Kaylee and Todd were the shepherds, and Bryan was the angel.  We also sang songs, played games, and made crafts.  My favorite part was feeding the school and village children.  They enjoyed their meal of rice, beans, and bread. 

Next, we went to an orphanage in Barbancourt.  It was wonderful to meet the beautiful children in the orphanage and show them the love of God the best we could.  Our team member, Dave, taught a powerful lesson about Christ on the cross.  We helped the children with crafts and played some games.

We went back to the mission and helped clean up the courtyard.  We worked on the pews at the church and did other odd jobs.   Later on, we gobbled down a delicious meal and finished off the day by playing some sports.


My favorite part of the day was talking to a young man named Jauq while watching the nightly soccer game.  We struggled to understand all of what we were saying to each other, but very clearly he asked me if I loved Jesus.  I said, “Yes, I do.  And you?”  He replied, “Yes, I love him.”  I was so moved by his witness to me and his love for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment