Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Awakening

For a while I like you have heard so much about Haiti, but seeing things with ones own eyes confronts ones heart and mind on a whole new level. On our way out to Mission Lifeline we saw a number of tents where people are still living after the earthquake. Then someone pointed off in the distance to a place where there was a mass burial of some 20 to 30 thousand people! As the day went on we started doing some construction which was great because we initially had one or two tools and about six people! Because of this the locals and I had to resort to using rocks to break up the concrete! It was such an enjoyable experience because I was able to interact with the locals as we did the work. Later on in the evening I experienced a very dark reality. Donald brought me outside the compound and showed me many women who were pregnant because they have sold themselves for food. It is hard to grasp this in our minds and even more difficult when you see them standing in front of you. In all my travels around the world this is one of the most needy and destroyed countries I have seen. Praise the Lord that though there is so much darkness God’s light is shining and changing lives!
Jonny Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment