Sunday, February 20, 2011

Standing in the Gap


Today our team went to "Wal-Mart" (which is actually the open air market) and we walked through hundreds of vendors selling everything you could imagine. We purchased coffee beans, some soda, and bag of peanuts...big spenders! We walked over to the shoreline and saw the island, blue waters, and gorgeous sky. Stopping at a homeless shelter to bring rice and beans to a few folks was truly humbling and made me appreciate all that God has blessed us with. On the way back to Lifeline we stopped alongside the road and bought baskets from a lady who is friends with Ms. Pat.

The best part of the day was visiting another orphanage (Cabaret Baptist Children's Home) and getting to spend some "down time" with the 50 children for whom Lifeline helps purchase food. We sang to them and they sang back to us..."Father Abraham.". As I sat on the floor with a little girl, she put her head against my chest and just sat there as though she were listening to me talk...and just breathe in and out. And, my mind went back to my own childhood when I would sit on my mother's lap and feel comforted by the sound of her voice and the ebb and flow of her breathing. I always felt so safe in her arms. It brought tears to my eyes to think that this little girl didn't have any parents to bring her that comfort.

But, I praise God for the work of missionaries who daily "stand in the gap" and represent the love of Christ to the children of Haiti. I count it a privilege to stand with them.

Annette, R.N.

No comments:

Post a Comment