Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 2

Today started off with one of the doctors meeting a woman found on a church step with a 20 day old beautiful baby boy. When asked what the child’s name was, she said that she had forgotten the baby’s name that her grandmother had given to her. So one of our doctors gave the kid his name and the day started off with a bang.
Then this afternoon was really stressful. We went to an orphanage in one of the tent cities. There were 155 children and 30 adults waiting to be seen.

One of the doctors saw a boy who was eight years old but was the size of a 4 year old. The worse part was that he looked like he was very sad. After his shirt was off it was clear that he was starving. He was given some cheese and he ravished it! The director of the orphanage is a pastor whose church, in Port au Prince, was destroyed in the earthquake. They had moved the church and the children to this new location in which 22 children and 6 adults were living in two rooms. They eat one meal a day and appear to be doing the best that they can but the children here seemed extremely hungry. The Director of Lifeline promised to help them with some food.

It is always a humbling experience when you come to realize that in this profession, at this place and at this moment you are really saving lives and helping God's children. What a wonderful opportunity to allow your light to shine! What a beautiful way to show God’s work and allow HIM to use you to do good work on this planet. My grandmother often told me that when you look into the eyes of children you are looking into the eyes of God. Today, at this clinic and the orphanage we visited, it was more then overwhelming. To see starving children in 2010 made me feel embarrassed. How could this happen and the world just look away? Well today, I felt that with all my medical training and life experience, I was changing lives; not a million, not a thousand, just one child at a time.
I am hopeful, today, that one child today will survive, because I changed his or her destiny. I am prayerful, today, that I stopped the devil from doing his job, and raping this country of God’s blessings. I am powerful, today, because I allowed God to use me to do good work on his planet. I am thankful, today, that I opened my life to this experience and to the people at this mission. I am blessed, today, because I allowed my life to be a blessing.
-Kevin




No comments:

Post a Comment