Monday, April 18, 2011

The adventure of missions!

While I have been a Christian for the past 8 years, today was my first experience on a mission trip in a foreign country. We started the day with a 3am wake up call followed by a 3 hour drive to JFK airport in New York. After a 2 hour delay and a 4 hour plane ride we arrived in Haiti. From the air peaking over the wing over the plane I noticed what a beautiful country Haiti was and I remember being very eager to see what it would be like. I went into the trip with no expectations excited to see how God would use the team. Our group of 10 were all very excited to get started.

The plane was packed with Haitians and we were pleased the plane landed safely after a shaky wheel landing. The plane applauded the landing and we were finally on the ground. The next half an hour was filled with a lot of adventure. The original airport had cracks on every wall. We took a bus to a different terminal where we scavenged for our luggage among the crowd. It was more like a freefall than a baggage claim. When we realized we were on our own and got the hang of it we pulled together as a team and managed to find all of our 23 bags filled with shoes and clothes to give to the kids. We left the airport and walked outside to be greeted by many airport workers looking to help us with our bags for a fee. It was a bit overwhelming but made it to our bus. I was very thankful for Lifeline’s support and guidance through the airport. It was interesting to see many Haitians outside the fence reaching out with their hands for American money as they shouted “We love America.”

The bus ride to the complex was the best amusement ride I have been on my entire life. I closed my eyes and was fearful on a number of occasions as cars wizzed by us on the left and right. I thought twice we will head on collide with opposing traffic. The main road built by the Domincan Republic was excellent while the rest were the bumpiest and narrowest roads I have ever seen. On the way we saw a lot of poverty. I was not expecting to see so much poverty. I saw trash everywhere and people living in tents. I saw kids and adults bathing in the canal on the side of the road and cows and goats crossing roads as if it were apart of every day life. It hurt to see such a beautiful country in such a mess. They aren't doing anything with their trash and live in the worst possible situations I can think of. It was overwhelming.

When we arrived at the complex I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was and how it was the center of the village. There were kids hanging around coming out of church and even some challenged us to basketball. I couldn’t believe how quickly I felt at home and was enjoying my time here. We had a great home cooked meal and had a great devotional time to get us focused for the week ahead.

I am most looking forward to the soccer games this week where I will have the opportunity to give a halftime message. I am looking forward to seeing how the Haitians live and hopefully sharing the love of Jesus with them. 


Short term team member,
Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment