Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Message from Haiti 1/16/2013


The team has been in Haiti for 6 days now, and in that amount of days so much has happened.  Many of us have been here multiple times and others it is their first, and the 14 members of this group couldn't have been a better group of people.



On the morning of January 15, there was a little 20 month old baby boy, Woodson, that was in desperate need of medical attention. The baby was brought to the Lifeline clinic by his 17 year old mother and all our team members wanted to reach out and help instantly. At 7:30 in the morning our team ran to the clinic to do everything we could possibly do to save this baby. It's extremely difficult to put into words how our hearts just ached seeing the baby in a terrible medical state, but our minds went into medical mode and we did what we needed to do. The baby had kwashiorkor, which is a protein deficiency causing extreme dehydration. The baby was lethargic and could barely move for us. We provided care and oral fluids and were trying to find a way to start an IV on this baby (he was very dehydrated and we could not find a vein).  At that moment we began praying for God to move and show us what to do next. About 2 minutes after our short prayers, they were answered.  The doctor that runs the clinic arrived and made the decision to send the baby to a nearby hospital. When our team left the baby we knew that we had done everything we could do.  Unfortunately about an hour and a half after the baby arrived at the hospital, he passed away.  During this difficult time, our team was there for each other and there was so much support and love among the members.


The baby that passed away was very close in age to my first child. Carter will be 2 in February and this baby was 20 months. When I heard that the baby had passed away I was heartbroken and a little mad. All I could think about was "What if we had done this or what if we had done that" and I was then reminded that God had a plan for that child's life and the plan was fulfilled. I think that it is so hard for us as Americans to accept this because we have gotten in the mindset that we are the ones that are in control, when in reality we are not. I believe that there was a reason that Woodson was brought to us- for me at least, it was to break my heart so that I would never forget this experience. So that I would not forget that God's people are everywhere- not just in America. God tells us that He will never leave us or forsake us and will walk with us daily and I find comfort in that in times like this. Maybe people think that coming to Haiti will change the people of Haiti and to a certain degree, that is true. But, for me coming to Haiti has changed me. I see these people that have nothing and they are thankful to God. They praise His name and thank Him and give Him all the glory. This is how I will live my life now- I believe that we all have something to learn from the people that live in Haiti and I am eager to continue learning from these people and to see what else God has in store for us this week. My heart has been set on fire and I know that without a shadow of a doubt- I will be back to this country. - Shelby Bond

As I entered the country of Haiti, I had heard many stories about a group of people who fight through adversity on a daily basis to try and provide a living for their families. I can honestly say, after being here for the last five days, these stories were not exaggerated. But the point I want to emphasize the most in regard to this situation is the humility and positive outlook that they show on a daily basis despite their insurmountable odds. The kids that we have seen in the mission, outside in the orphanages, and even in the hospital, have a light in them that shines right through their smiling faces. You cannot help from being touched by their loving personalities as you hold and spend time with them.

On the other hand, it is very difficult to think that many of these young children are going to be hard pressed to achieve a normal lifestyle in the coming days, but you wake up each day and go give them your heart and know that they are better off after the time you spend with them. I also want to point out the remarkable group that I am sharing these experiences with. These individuals have a genuine love for people and dedicate their lives to serving others. The time we share in the mission field and back at the house in the evening is truly special and the memories will remain with me for many days to come. So after caring for the kids and their families, playing with them in various settings, and spending time with my mission team, this experience has truly been rewarding and I look forward to seeing how the rest of the trip will unfold. By the way, meeting one of my adopted Haitian children was awesome this morning. Guelson's smile lit up the front porch, and it is memories like this that show me I am in the right place and that the Lord is good and has his plan for us in Haiti! God Bless! - Michael Estep

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11.






Randy, Mary Jane, Miranda, MaKenna, Katrina, Jim, Michael, Kyle, Coty, Jayme, Shelby, Jill, Morgan, and Kurt


3 comments:

  1. So great to see pictures and hear from you!! You all have a huge following and tons of prayers daily from home! Be safe and continue to touch lives! All our love.....Jen, Bailee, Rilee and Ava Estep

    ReplyDelete
  2. To know they see Jesus through you and you can touch their lives is what I am praying. I know God is answering prayers. Love to you all! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. So touching and So proud of you for all you are doing. My love and prayers are with you!! Joelle

    ReplyDelete