Thursday, August 9, 2012


Having been to Haiti on several trips over the course of the past two years, I know about the poverty.  I know about the illiteracy rate.  I know about the death rate of children ages 5 years and under.  I know about the high level of unemployment.  I know about the lack of sanitation which creates diseases everywhere you go.  Now that I have been to Children's Lifeline, I know that there is an organization here which is working hard to do something about it.
Lifeline supports a neighboring village via providing instructional classes to the ladies teaching them how to sew.  They have an opportunity to earn their own machine by making things and selling them to the short term teams which come to support the mission.
There is a school here (on site) which I believe supports roughly 350 children during the school year.  Additionally, Children's Lifeline participated in a teachers conference to offer training for local teachers where they could work to improve their skills.
Children's Lifeline serves as a distribution center for Kids Against Hunger, an organization which provides food to hungry families all over the world.  Lifeline is responsible for providing over 8000 meals a day to people (primarily children) who may otherwise have nothing to eat here in Haiti.  Tomorrow our team will participate in serving some of those meals.
There are water filtration systems here which are being distributed to local homes to help provide a source of clean water.  Working to reduce the spreading of diseases - yeah, they do that too.
I write this post not as an advertisement for Children's Lifeline.  They don't need me to market them.  I write this post as an example of faith in action....as an example of 1John 3:18 : "My children, we should love people not only with words and talk, but by our actions and true caring."  Thank you Lord for all of the people at Children's Lifeline (both in Haiti and the US).  That you for showing me yet another example of what it means to "love each other,"  (1 John 3:23) and taking that COMMAND to heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment