Friday, June 29, 2012

Haiti 2012

Today was my fourth day here and honestly by the first day, I had already learned a lot of things about myself.  Walking around in Haiti made me realize that I take the gifts of life for granted.  Back home I am so spoiled, yet I never really noticed it.  Not only that, but I feel like we spend so much time worrying about the simple things in life. By being here, I realize that the people in Haiti aren't ashamed of anything.  As a matter of fact, they seem quite happy with the way that they live.  Not to mention, they seem to appreciate everything that others have to offer "without" complaining. 

For the past couple of mornings during bible devotions we've talked about hope.  Some people think that the people here in Haiti have no hope, while others seem to think otherwise.  In my opinion, I think that when we look around we let our emotions get in the way of everything.  They have hope; however, it's hard for us to believe that.  When we looked around we see little hope only because we are used to living in a certain way.  To them every year they get a little bit stronger.  Without hope I don't think that they would've came as far as they have already. 

We also were fortunate enough to go and visit a few orphanages and tour some villages.  It's amazing how much love is found here.  The children all run up and hold your hands and they just crave for attention.  Not to mention, they love taking pictures.  When I look around I see so many ways one could help; but at the same time, I feel so helpless.  It's quite a culture shock when you notice that children don't even own a  pair of shoes; however, my closet is so full I can't figure out which pair to wear.  I just pray that when I go back into America I'll be able to show others how big of an eye opener this trip has been to me.  I also pray that I'll learn to appreciate the things of this world without worrying about tomorrow.  Being here has taught me many things and it has been a great experience.  I encourage others to experience it as well, because you never know what you may learn about yourself that never slipped your mind before.

Destiny Key; Kentucky

No comments:

Post a Comment