Wednesday, May 30, 2012


After just a couple days in Haiti, my heart is melting and it is not because of the heat.  As a nurse practitioner, I was excited about the opportunity to see patients with new and interesting conditions. Yes, I’m certain this sounds crazy to those who do not work in healthcare but to me these things really are intriguing.  Before the trip, I had done my research and felt prepared in my knowledge and training.  However, after my first day in the clinic, I quickly learned that Haiti (and its people) had a lot to teach me. 

The very first patient I saw had injured her leg in a motorcycle accident.  Although her wound was extensive, she allowed me to cleanse and dress the area without any complaints of pain.  She was grateful for the help.  I continued to work and continued to learn. With the limited resources, we had to ration the medications and other supplies. Although, I wish we could have done more i truly believe we are making a difference in the lives of these people. 

I am grateful for this opportunity and am excited about the rest of my time here. Thank you, Haiti, for melting my heart!! 

Ginger McDaniel, APRN

Mt. Sterling, KY

No comments:

Post a Comment